Shed the festive calories with this intensive HIIT routine
The great thing about high-intensity interval training (HIIT) is that it can be short yet uber-effective at burning all those extra calories you have consumed during the festive season.
In fact, research shows that interval training burns fat faster and for longer than if you’re just cruising along on that treadmill for a long jog. Of course, a balanced diet is also key to getting a beach-ready body.
Check out this 15-minute, full-body workout that you can do in the comfort of your home using no equipment. Perform each of these exercises for 45 seconds, then rest for 15 seconds. Do three sets of each exercise.
HIIT should not be performed every day. It’s best to schedule a rest day between sessions to prevent injuries. And don’t forget to warm up!
- Lie on your back with your arms extended behind your head.
- As you exhale, raise your legs and arms at the same time. Then let your hands touch your feet. Return to the starting position as you exhale. Repeat the routine.
Raise your right knee till it is parallel to the ground, then do the same with your left knee. Repeat this as quickly as possible.
Burpee x Push-up
- From a standing position, get down into a push-up position and perform one repetition.
- Then retract both legs towards your chest before returning to the standing position. Repeat the routine.
- With your hands on hips, perform a jump with your right leg in front and left leg behind.
- Land with both knees bent at 90 degrees before jumping back to a standing position. Alternate as quickly as you can while keeping your back straight.
- Sit on the edge of a platform and grip the edge with your hands. Extend your legs ahead of you with the heels firmly on the floor.
- Shift your buttocks off the floor while keeping your shoulder blades back and down, and your legs fully extended.
- Lower yourself till your elbows are at 90-degree angles. Lift yourself back up. Repeat the routine.